Strength in the face of Serious Disrespect

Mon, May 2 2016 04:04pm EDT 1
Jo_Reed
Jo_Reed
437 Posts
Morning, gals.
Today I want to talk about what we do when we are faced with attitudes and behavior from people in our lives who are acting "ugly". I'm not talking about the ones who are curious or have questions because they're genuinely concerned for us. Those folks we need to meet as graciously as possible, always aware of the impression we're making (we "represent" prison wives everywhere, whether we like it or not). I'm referencing those who just JUDGE and aren't interested in anything but their wrong-headed impressions; those lovely (ahem) individuals who feel like being nasty and rude.

What do we do with that?
Nothing.
Not a damn thing.
Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.
It's impossible for them to take a calm, soft-spoken and measured response to their ugliness and use it as ammunition. Remember that you never need to JUSTIFY a choice that you know is RIGHT. People who refuse to even try to understand? Don't deserve the courtesy of a conversation. Walk away with your head held high. Cut them out of your life without a second thought. And no, it does NOT matter how long you've known them, what ties ("blood" can be the worst about this!) they have to you or what you've had with them in the past. Someone who does not love and respect you enough to support YOU even when they don't fully agree with your decisions in life? Doesn't deserve a spot at your table. Period.

Do YOU. Quietly and with class. Be strong. The people who are SUPPOSED to be in your life will be there with no effort on your part. You should never BEG anyone to love you unconditionally. We all just DESERVE that. Be strong.

Much love,
Jo
Wed, Nov 23 2016 05:51pm EST 2
lovehandlesmcgee
lovehandlesmcgee
4 Posts
<3 Love this and needed to see it. I am so happy to have found this place.
Mon, Feb 20 2017 06:50pm EST 3
Allison84
Allison84
15 Posts
I love the way that you speak about this issue that I know we all face from time to time, it can be so hard explaining to people the life that we live and choose. I think the most outrageous comments that I had were from a CO at Jamestown, she was so mean to me. She would allow women in before me wearing almost identical outfits and then get to me and say "nope, that won't work" over and over. I never made a fuss and learned to bring oversized ugly outfits to visits just in case. Then she'd ask why I was there, why would I come see HIM and I would just smile and say, everyone has someone who cares and walk away. Some people find the need to judge and condemn when it isn't their place and I feel bad for them. They miss out on a lot of the beautiful things in life.
Mon, Mar 20 2017 04:10am EDT 4
Nancie
Nancie
15 Posts
Thank u. This was much needed.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.