Parole abolished in Virginia vs. Probation

Mon, Nov 20 2017 08:58pm EST 1
Mom Of A Great Kid
Mom Of A Great Kid
3 Posts
Hello, I wasn't sure if anyone else from VA has more detail on this but I saw that Virginia abolished parole in the 90s. What is the difference between that and probation which doesn't seem to be abolished in Virginia?

Thanks
Tue, Nov 21 2017 12:46am EST 2
Bail
Bail
3 Posts
Probation and parole are both alternatives to incarceration. However, probation occurs prior to and often instead of jail or prison time, while parole is an early release from prison. In both probation and parole, the party is supervised and expected to follow certain rules and guidelines
Wed, Nov 22 2017 10:52am EST 3
Admin JoJo Matthews
Admin JoJo Matthews
159 Posts
A lot of states are abolishing parole. I know here in AZ they did that a while back. Now depending on your sentence you serve 80 percent of your time and are released early with good behavior. If you get a murder 2 charge you serve a flat sentence ie: 20 years.
Murder 1 is natural life since there is no parole no
Point in saying life without parole sentence.
Parole boards costs a lot of money to run a year which im sure is why it’s being abolished in many states
Tue, Nov 28 2017 10:24pm EST 4
Mom Of A Great Kid
Mom Of A Great Kid
3 Posts
Thank you sorry didnt' see emails of posts and responses. We are a ways off from knowing what he'll be facing but its significant time I'm told. So hard with the holidays approaching staying positive.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.